[Original Link & Videos] Liz Danzico recently sought out the advice of digital designers and designer conspirers far and wide, to ask them to respond to the following:
So you’re thinking about becoming a designer? If I could tell you only one thing about going into the field, my advice would be ___________ .
They can be summarized as such:
– Be empathetic towards all (the team, client, etc). Understand behaviours.
– Think about more than just the design
– Know how to express yourself. “It’s the sign of an organized mind.”
– Differentiate yourself by understanding the big picture
– Learn for yourself and create your own opinions
– Have undying passion for what you do
– Use a camera as your visual sketchbook
– Nothing better than knowing something you have changed someone’s perspective
– Seek out, embrace, and solve for different perspectives
– Constantly tackle problems at the edge of your ability
– Find the middle ground between clever and stupid
– Constant and consistent iteration
If I were to add my own it would be:
So you’re thinking about becoming a designer? If I could tell you only one thing about going into the field, my advice would be know your client’s business. Know their competitors and then know their users. Ask for specifics get inside their heads. Then solve for what their heart and soul asks for not for what they think they need. Also, know how to talk to people in other fields and backgrounds.